After giving birth, it's important to nourish your body with healthy, nutrient-dense foods to help with recovery and promote milk production if breastfeeding. Kath Megaw from Nutripaeds gives us some valuable tips for postpartum nutrition.
1. Oats are a great source of iron, which can help replenish blood lost during childbirth. They are also high in fibre, which can help prevent constipation, a common postpartum issue.
2. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and promote healing. It is also a great source of protein and vitamin D, which are important for postpartum recovery.
3. Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard greens are packed with vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium, and vitamin K, which can help with recovery and support milk production.
4. Eggs are a great source of protein and vitamin D, which can help with recovery and support breastfeeding. They are also versatile and easy to prepare, making them a convenient postpartum food.
5. Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are high in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and promote healing. They are also a great source of fibre and vitamin C, which can support overall health and recovery.